Date, cocoa and coconut Bliss Balls
The holidays are often filled with excess amounts of sugar, fatty foods and alcohol. Though it is the perfect time to immerse ourselves in festive treats and gourmet dining, I feel like I should keep a healthy balance when it comes to my meals and habits. Between servings of meat pie and slices of chocolate log cake, I’ll definitely need it.
This is why, along with my routine workouts, I always prepare snacks made from healthy and fresh ingredients to give me energy between Grandma’s supper and gift unwrapping activities.
Here is my recipe for Bliss Balls, a healthy and nutritious source of energy that is perfect for a pre-workout or snowshoeing snack. Yes, it is rich in carbs, but it is also filled with essential nutrients. Plus, it is super easy to make!
Ingredients for 16 Bliss Balls:
12 Medjool dates
1 cup almond powder
1/2 cup shredded coconut + 1/3 cup extra for rolling
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds
How to make them:
- Place dates in a medium bowl and cover with water. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard seeds.
2. Mix dates, almond powder, shredded coconut, coconut oil, cocoa powder and chia seeds until the mixture comes together. Transfer to a bowl and let it stand for 20 minutes in order for the chia seeds to soften.
3. Place the remaining shredded coconut in a shallow dish.
4. With a tablespoon, roll the mixture into balls, and then roll them in the shredded coconut to coat.
5. Place the balls in a plate and leave them to cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Enjoy them with a fresh glass of almond milk or a clementine!